The Dowty Brass Band (now Cheltenham Silver Band)
In 1937 a number of employees of Aircraft Components Limited (which later became Dowty) formed a work’s band with the permission and co-operation of the then management.
Despite the war, the band did not suffer as much as many Brass Bands. The aircraft industry was a reserved occupation and the band continued playing in the works canteen and at Christmas parties.
After the war the bands fortunes faded. Few public performances were given and attendance at band practice suffered badly. Eventually, following a rift with the management, the band moved away from the Aircraft Company in 1946.
The band took on the name of Cheltenham Spa Silver Band although there was no formal association with the town. The final break with Dowty’s was made when the band sold the old uniforms and bought new ones (actually modified second hand police uniforms).