The Desford Colliery Dowty Band hailed from a small mining town called Coalville in the heart of the Midlands UK.
The Desford Colliery Dowty Band was for a period of time, sponsored by the Dowty Group, hence the name.
The Brass House is the home of the Desford Colliery band and is a purpose built club-house sitting in the heart of Coalville in Leicestershire.
Now called the Desford Colliery Band, this Ensemble has performed all over the world, recorded award winning albums and continues to be at the forefront of British music making.
Founded in 1898 the band has a colourful and interesting history. In 1912 the band engaged its first professional musical director Mr Albert Lawson, who made the twice- weekly trip to their rehearsal base in Leicester by horse and trap. The band steadily flourished until the outbreak of the First World War in 1914 when the musicians were sent to the trenches. They regrouped at the end of the war to win a host of gold medals and become the most successful band in the Midlands. The Second World War again called a halt to their activities. When the band reformed they were faced with an urgent need to replace dilapidated instruments and in 1956 the band was assisted by the Coal Industry Social Welfare Organisation. Because of this and the fact that at the time the majority of musicians were miners, the band was renamed the Desford Colliery Band. Progress continued under various conductors and to date the band has enjoyed legendary success winning no less that thirty-five championship titles.
Thank you to the Desford Colliery Band for their help